Wednesday 21 December 2011

They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity - for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him.

Wise words, from Peter there. I am a slave to the ungodly sounds of Rock 'N' Roll and right now I couldn't think of anything more ungodly than Starving Weirdos' 'The Path of Lightning'.
I own their 'B/P/M Series 1' LP and have been playing it loads recently, a total modernist take on piano music. Destruction as a form of creation. General tomfoolery in the studio. One side taken by one member of the group, the other taken by another to which they both add and twist the work of pianist Darius Brotman. Really haunting, enchanting stuff that I heartily recommend.
Now, 'The Path of Lighting'.... I'll readily admit I have downloaded it from some nefarious source and have been playing it to death. Four tracks of cacophonous atmospherics that make me see the full possibility in music making. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, these guys have a craft (the B-P-M Series 1' LP stands testify to that) but so many groups do noise and oddness for the sake of it whereas these guys are trying something new and interesting.    
I will be buying it, not only does it have the best album cover you'll ever see, it's also worth every red cent of the $20bux you'll spend on it musically. As I've said previously about a different band, when my pay day comes... so will there's.

No comments:

Post a Comment