Saturday 9 July 2011

'Spiderland'

I remember buying the album ‘Spiderland’ by the band Slint and before having a chance to listen to the CD having to go on a camping trip with an organisation called CISV. When I got back I put it in my over-sized, over-priced five disc multi-player and it immediately got jammed inside the machinery and I had to prise it out of the disc tray, resulting in it becoming scratched. For some reason, despite extensive damage, it played perfectly for nearly a decade.
I now need to invest in a new copy; it has been too long since I have heard ‘Nosferatu Man’ or ‘Don, Aman’ without interference, though I have been listening to the couple of tracks that still play without skipping over the past few days and have realised how much I truly rate the album. ‘Spiderland’ is without doubt one of the seminal album of the nineties and is in much needed rescuing and reappraisal in both current personal compact disc status and general critical standing status. 
Here is a live version of a track off their first album. It pretty much sums up Slint and is a better representation of them then the version that appeared on the debut ‘Tweez'.
Slint – Ron [Live]

No comments:

Post a Comment